Submitted by Lindsay on Wed, 01/30/2008 - 21:55 These are some of the artefacts from the Physics department that are contained in the University Museums Collection in Dundee. The artefacts date from the nineteenth century to the 1970's and were mainly used for demonstration rather than research purposes. Dundee has quite a long list of previous scientific scholars, including James Bowman Lindsay who in 1835, forty-four years prior to Edison, demonstrated the incandescant light bulb at a public meeting. Prefering to work on wireless telegraphy, Bowman left the light bulb behind to concentrate on radio. By 1854, Bowman was sending transmissions accross the Firth of Tay from Dundee to Woodhaven in Newport on Tay, which is a distance of two miles.